Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Hair Care On The Road

Disclaimer:  This is most definitely a chick-post.  Men may want to read for informational purposes only.

When we first bought our 5th wheel, my hair was somewhere between my elbows and my waist.  I most often wore it up on my head with a clip or bunched up in back with a scrunchee.  I'm not a girly-girl.  I hate messing with my hair or fussing with makeup.  Sounds perfect for life in an RV, right?  Well, the problem came my long hair started clogging up drains.  And the next problem occurred when I would get out of the shower.  Why is it my DH always had to be heating water for coffee or tea at the same time I was blow drying my hair.  Yep, you guessed it.  We dealt daily with pop goes the circuit.  Our breaker box is under the refrigerator.  Not easy to get to (at least if you have arthritis in the knees), and hard to see.  So there was always mumbling going on about the situation.  The solution was easy.  The next year, I just cut my hair off, really short.  No hair dryer needed.

This worked very well for awhile.  And then I went to the dermatologist.  She pointed out that I had a precancerous lesion on the top of my hair.  She burned it off - it happened so fast I wasn't sure what she was doing - and told me I needed to be sure to wear a hat when I was outside. But, but, but, but....I don't look good in a hat when my hair is short.  I don't necessarily look good in a hat when my hair is long either, but at least I look better.

As our departure south has been put off due to RV repairs, I decided to grow my hair out.  It is now chin length.  Hopefully it will get to the length where I will just need a bang trim and some shaving around the neck during the time we are gone.  I've always heard that a good haircut is the key.  So here is a plug for my niece, Opal Fitzpatrick, at the Ola Salon in West Seattle.  Best hair cuts I have ever had.  She is also a very talented colorist.  Anyway, I've been discussing with her about what to do when we are on the road.  What terminology do I use so the stylist knows what I want.

It brought up the discussion of how to choose where to get your hair done when you are on the road.  Is it trial and error?  Do you ask other women in the campground?  Do you pick the cheapest walk in place just to get it done?  Curious minds want to know.

We will see how long I am able to maintain my new do.  While I don't think drain clogging will be an issue, there will be time added to my "getting ready" routine, which already takes longer than DH would like.  And we will be going back to "pop goes the circuit" I'm pretty sure.

Do you think this is a silly topic for a blog post?  Perhaps it is.  Perhaps I am making much ado about nothing.  Or perhaps I'm just trying to be the good wife and traveling partner, keeping things easy for the guy that does most of the work.  Or perhaps I am just a tad more vain than I think I am.

As always, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment