Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Best Part Of Camping - Eating!

Oh - surely you didn't think I meant cooking.  No, I meant trying out different restaurants in various areas.  Yes, I have a few campfire recipes that I really like, but today I'd like to focus on eating out in Yuma.  Thanks to our friends locally, and some suggestions from Facebook friends, we've sample 3 great restaurants in Yuma.

First is Brownie's Cafe.  This is a good old fashioned diner.  If you were born after 1980, you probably don't know what that really means, but it refers to good old, almost as tasty as home cooked, food.  We had breakfast at Brownies.  I had the Maggie's Special which was home made corned beef, 2 eggs and hashbrowns.  It was fantastic.  Kim had waffles and eggs - the Belgian waffle kind, and he gave them a two thumbs up as well.  If we had more time here in Yuma, we'd go back for lunch or dinner as I hear the Brownie Dessert is to die for.  As it was, I was stuffed so I didn't try dessert.  Hey - there's nothing wrong with dessert with breakfast!

The next day, we were treated to Kneaders for lunch.  Soup, salad and sandwhiches - oh and desserts!  Are you sensing a pattern here?  This was a 'wheat cheat day' for me.  I do try to avoid wheat, but the bread at this restaurant smelled so good, I just had to give in.  And then there was the cannolis.  I had the turkey feta salad, broccoli cheese soup, a slice of Russian Rye bread and the aforementioned cannoli.  (Not as good as the cannoli I've had in the French Quarter in New Orleans, but well worth having.).  Kim had a toasted cheese sandwhich - I think there were 4 kinds of cheese in this double decker treat.  Again, we will return the next time we are in Yuma.  Hint - go early for lunch.  There were only 2 people in front of us when we arrived at 11:50am.  When we left 45 minutes later - the line was out the door.

And of course, you can't eat in Yuma, so close to Mexico, without sampling some Mexican Food.  We joined a group of friends at El Pappagallo.  Most of them ordered The Sampler-taco, tamale, enchilada, burrito and tostado.  I understand the enchilada was particularly good - cheese, sour cream and onion.  Must have been, because no one offered me a taste.  I had the carne asada and it was wonderful.  Great salsa and guacamole. 

If you are in Yuma, I would highly recommend anyone of these restaurants.

Now if you are reading this, and hoping for a camp recipe, I will share one of my favorites.  It's cooking in foil, and makes clean up a snap.  Take a large piece of aluminum foil (double layer if using the small regular size foil).  In the center spread out some sliced onion - I use 1/2 onion, but I love onions.  On top of that, a ground beef patty.  I like to mix my meat with some barbeque sauce, but you can also just top the meat with a generous glob.  Next layer with sliced potatoes, sliced carrots and sliced mushrooms.  Top with a pat of butter, or some olive oil.  Season for taste.  Wrap it up tent style - Bring the edges of one side together and fold over a few times, then crimp  up the sides - leaving some air/breathing room.  Put on the barbeque, right over the coals, medium heat, close the lid and cook for about 20 -25 minutes.  Yummy!  We eat this 2-3 times a week sometimes.  Easy to make.  Easy clean up.  What more could you ask for!

No comments:

Post a Comment