Friday, June 13, 2014

Not Exactly An RV or Travel Related Post

I don't usually cross post entries from my RV blog and my Blahblah Blog, but I think this one is special.  If you've dreamed of retiring and traveling, but aren't sure how to achieve that goal, I hope this post will inspire you to give this method a try.  It is free.  It works.  And you don't have to forward it to your ten closest friends, unless of course you want to.

Enjoy!

*********************************************************************************

I'm back to thinking about how the heck I got to be 60 years old!  My first reflection (and you'll have to pardon the pun) came from looking in the mirror and seeing my mom!  I no longer just resemble her; I am her....with a different hair style.  When did that happen?

My next thought was who da thunk I'd be where I am now.  Firstly, I'm not sure I ever gave much thought to being 60 - at least not until about a month ago.  Here I am, retired from any traditional form of employment (and I thought I would work well into my 70s).  I'm traveling much of the year with my husband in our 33' fifth wheel trailer (and if you have known me for any length of time, you'd know my idea of camping was a 2 star hotel).  Our home is paid for.  We have no debt, other than the things you can't escape like utilities, phone, food, gas, health insurance (and don't get me started on that!).

How did I get here?  Why has life been so good for me?  LOL - That's me channelling my father, the king of worst case scenarios.  As I reflect back, I can tell you that it was my mother's influence on me that did it.  She told me that she only owed me three things in life:

1.  An understanding of God (or whatever term you may use for that Universal Power that is bigger than ourselves).
2.  An education.
3.  The tools to be able to distinguish right from wrong and how to use those tools to make intelligent decisions.

While my mom was pretty traditional in her beliefs, and I am more New Thought/New Age, she did introduce me to the power of the mind and the power of prayer.  And basically, I believe that it is due to those two "powers" that I am where I am today.

I recently found a box of books that had come from my mom's house.  In the box was The Power Of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale.  In a chapter entitled "I Don't Believe In Defeat," Dr Peale talks about our subconscious minds picking up and processing all our thoughts, random or intentional.  It doesn't matter if these thoughts are good or bad, positive or negative, love based or fear based.  The subconscious mind soaks these thoughts up like a sponge.  The more negative, fear based thoughts you have, the more not so pleasant (dare I say, WTF) experiences you will attract.   And conversely, the more positive, love based thoughts you think, the more pleasant experiences you will have.

In 2014, this is NOT new information.  The first printing of Dr Peale's book was in 1952.  One of my first spiritual teachers, Catherine Ponder, wrote about these things in the 1960s.  And Florence Scovel Shinn and Emmet Fox were writing about these techniques in the 1920s and 1930s.

Dr Peale says, "I have found the best way to eliminate them (and he is talking about negative thoughts here) was to say a positive word about everything.

I must concur.  And this is what I have been doing for greater than 10 years now.  And that is how I got from bankrupt, unemployed and miserable to having reached critical mass (living off investments), retired and very happy.  It worked for me, and I know it can work for you too.

To that end, I have put together a simple brochure/pamphlet called "Heavens to Betsy: Affirmations For A Better Life."  I would love to offer it to anyone who would like to try this method.  No cost.  No charge.  Just my gift to you.  I will send it via e-mail, as an attachment.  You will need a printer that can do two sided copies.  Or you can put it on a jump stick and take it to a  UPS or Staples store or any other printshop.

Just spend 5-10 minutes every morning, reading or saying aloud these affirmations.  It will make a difference in your life.

If you'd like a copy, just drop me an email addressed to "betsy at betsy m brown dot com" replacing the at and dot with the appropriate symbols, removing any spaces and the quotes.  (If you are on Facebook, you can drop your email address in my inbox, if you prefer).

If sharing this information helps but one person, I will be a happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment