Friday, September 4, 2009

Getting Set Up

Ah, here we are, at our 'home park' - aka the driveway of our house in Snohomish.    Our daughter, Erin, and her family moved into our house when we moved to Hawaii in January.  We didn't plan to move back into the house completely, so we took over the spare bedroom.  Now we are moving out of the spare bedroom and into the 5th wheel.  With all 3 tipouts out, we just fit.  With the stairs down, we can either hop sideways onto the pavement, or out a bit and onto the grass, avoiding the flower beds that line the driveway.

It was late in the afternoon when we got back, and I had promised to make meatloaf for dinner.  Erin is pregnant with her first child, and she thought meatloaf sounded good.  Anxious to keep the little mama happy, I took off for the kitchen, leaving Kim to do the set up.

I am not a mechanical person.  I was barely listening when we did the walk through at Poulsbo RV.  Kim and Jerry (the RV Tech) talked the same language.  It would have added 3 hours to the process for them to dummy down the conversation so I had a clue.  At some point, Kim will have to walk me through all the how-to's.  In the meantime, I know the switches for the hotwater tank, how to flush the toliet, how to move the slides in and out, and which switches go to which lights, and which lights don't have switches.  Oh, and I can raise and lower the shades and the windows, open and close drawers, as well as the refrigerator and freezer.  Did I mention I was an RV Virgin?  Did I mention I can count the number of times I've been camping on the fingers of one hand?  Just when I thought I knew something - like lifting up on the drawers to pull them out - things change.  In this RV, you just pull straight out - hard.  If you lift it up, you pull if off the tracks.

While I have very minimal experience with trailers, 5th wheels and motor homes, I do have plenty of experience in moving.  And I know the very first thing I wanted to do was make the bed up.  That way, when I knew I was pooped and about to fall asleep, I didn't have to stop to make the bed first.  I didn't, however, know where we had packed our sheets and comforter.  Oh well, I just stripped the ones off the bed we used in the spare bedroom, and used those for the time being.

We actually watched a movie on the dvd, and then it was lights out.  Day one complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment